As the legislative session comes to an end next week, California legislators are rushing to vote on bills threatening parental rights, punishing sex traffickers, promoting and protecting body-destroying trans-drugs and surgeries, legalizing illicit drugs, lowering abortion standards, and putting tampons in 3-grade boys bathrooms. Here are some of the bills CFC believes you should talk to your elective representatives about. You can see a full list of bills CFC is tracking here. CFC opposed all these bills, except SB 14 regarding sex trafficking.
- AB 5: Train Teachers to Profile Non-LGBTQ+ Affirming Parents: This bill requires public school teachers to receive annual training on how to affirm all LGBTQ+ identities and sexual behavior, as well as train teachers on how to identify parents who aren’t LGBTQ+ affirming.
- AB 230 : Tampons in 3rd Grade Boy’s Bathrooms: This bill requires public schools to stock free menstrual products in all bathrooms in grades 3rd through 5th, including in at least one male restroom. Since most lower grades use the same bathroom, this means the requirement will apply to 1st graders as well. This is already a requirement in grades 6th through 12.
- AB 571: Bill To Protect Abortionists and Transgender Surgeons from Lawsuits: This bill requires insurance companies to provide liability and damage coverage at standard malpractice rates for abortion and transitioning drugs and surgery providers.
- AB 576: Making Chemical Abortions Even More Dangerous: This bill requires the Medi-Cal health program to pay for chemical abortions to kill an unborn baby up until 11 weeks of gestation, even though the Federal Drug Administration has only approved abortion drugs, misoprostol and mifepristone, on babies up to 10 weeks old.
- AB 665: State-Sanctioned Kidnapping: This bill says a counselor or counselor trainee can place a child as young as 12 years old in a residential shelter based on the child’s “OK” alone. No parental consent or notification is required, and no allegation of abuse is necessary before this can happen.
- AB 957: Judges Must Side with Trans-Affirming Parents Over Custody: This bill will require judges to equate “affirmation of child gender transition” directly with a child’s “health, safety, and welfare” when determining custody or visitation rights. Consequently, parents who do not affirm the chosen gender identity of their child (of any age) risk having their child taken from them.
- AB 1078: Attacks Local Control Over Curriculum: This bill will make it harder for local school boards to remove LGBTQ and Critical Race Theory promoting curriculum from school libraries and classrooms.
- AB 1432: Requires All Group Insurance Policy to Cover Abortions and Trans-Medicine: This bill requires every group healthcare plan sold in California to cover abortions, abortion-related services, and well as transgender mutilating and sterilizing drugs and surgeries.
- SB 14: Sex Trafficking of Minor: This bill would define human trafficking of minors as a serious felony for purposes of the Three Strikes Law.
- SB 58: Legalizing Magic Mushrooms: This bill decriminalizes various harmful hallucinogens for recreational use.
- SB 94: Resentencing of Murderers: This bill allows a person serving a prison sentence of life without the possibility of parole to file a petition in court seeking resentencing to a lesser sentence.
- SB 345: Protects Medical Professionals Doing Abortion and Trans-treatments: This bill adds professional and legal safeguards for medical professionals who abort children or who treat gender-confused people with sterilized drugs and mutilating surgeries where those services are illegal.
- SB 385: Lowers Safety Standards for Abortions: This bill changes abortion safety requirements by allowing physician assistants to perform a first-trimester abortion by aspiration without a physician present.
- SB 407: Requires Foster Parents to be LGBTQ+ Affirming: Requires all Foster Care Families to be affirming of all LGBTQ+ gender and sexual orientations, and medical transitioning treatments whether they have LGBTQ-identified foster kids or not. There are no exemptions for religious belief systems that teach gender is binary and based on biology, or that hold to biblical views of sexuality.
- SB 447: Nationwide Marketing Campaign to Promote LGBTQ+ Ideology in Red States: This bill eliminates state travel restrictions to Conservative States as punishment for passing laws CA considers anti-LGBTQ+, and replaces it with a national marketing and advertising campaign to promote LGBTQ+ ideology.
- SB 541: Requires Schools to Teens Access to Free Condoms: This bill requires public high schools, including charters, to provide internal and external condoms free of charge. Requires schools to allow condom distribution in health classes starting in 7th grade. It also prohibits retail stores from refusing to sell contraceptives to minors.
- SB 760: All-Gender Bathrooms Forced onto Every School Campus: This bill requires K-12 public schools to have at least one gender-neutral bathroom. Each school district will decide if the bathrooms are single-stall or multi-stall.
Please visit the CFC Action Center to get with your Legislator offices. Let your representatives know of your opposition and or support of these bills.