AB 1314 Updates & Resources
Schools Should Not Keep Secrets from Parents
The chair of the Assembly Education Committee, Al Muratsuchi (D-Torrance), announced April 10, that he will not allow AB 1314 to have a hearing, “not only because the bill is proposing bad policy, but also because a hearing would potentially provide a forum for increasingly hateful rhetoric targeting LGBTQ youth.” So a debate about keeping parents informed about what is happening with their children at school is interpreted as hatred toward LGBTQ identified youth. Consequently, discussion about topic is silenced. Read Muratsuchi’s press release here.
California Legislative LGBTQ Caucus was also quoted in the press release expressing support for refusing to have a hearing on AB 1314. The Caucus justified the current CA Department of Education policy mandating teachers lie to parents about their child’s gender identity at school, because “not all trans or non-binary youth have such loving and supportive families.” This state policy pits public schools against parents who love their children, but also believe sex is determined by biology, not feelings.
Assemblyman Bill Essayli responded with the following statement:
“Today’s decision to deny a hearing on AB 1314 is symbolic of where Sacramento democrats stand on parental rights. They believe the government owns our children and that parents do not have a right to know what is happening with their own children at school. Gender dysphoria is a serious issue, and parents need to be aware of the associated mental health risks trans minors face. Studies are clear that trans minors do better with parental involvement. Leaving parents in the dark is dangerous and unconstitutional.
“The Supreme Court has already ruled that parents have a fundamental right to direct the care, upbringing, and education of their children. While democrats have the votes to kill my bill in Sacramento, they do not have the votes to suppress parents’ voices at the local level. I encourage parents to continue bringing lawsuits against their school districts challenging existing policies that allow children to be socially transitioned at school without parental consent.”
School Board Engagement on AB 1314 / Secrecy Policy
Chino Valley Unified School District Board of Education President Sonja Shaw presented a Resolution in support of AB 1314 at the April 6, 2023 school Board meeting, which starts at 6 p.m. You can watch the meeting at the right.
Click here to read the resolution.
Here is an excerpt: WHEREAS, the Board of Education believes that the success of children begins by supporting fundamental parental rights in educational institutions, and that the best path toward academic and social emotional success for students comes from promoting strong bonds of communication between parents, students, and schools; and
WHEREAS, the Board of Education believes in fostering trust between schools and parents and guardians by direct communication and involving parents.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the Board of Education of the Chino Valley Unified School District supports Assembly Bill 1314, Parental Notification.
AB 1314 has been assigned to the Assembly Education Committee, but the Chair of the committee, Assemblyman Al Muratsuchi, has decided not to let the bill be heard in his committee. See above for details.
- Call Asm. Muratsuchi offices and ask that AB 1314 be scheduled for a hearing: (916) 319-2066 or (310) 375-0691.
Let Muratsuchi know how disappointed you are that AB 1314 will not have a hearing in his committee. Check out his district boundaries near Torrance and Redondo Beach here. If you know parents, teachers, pastors, and other elected officials in this area, please encourage them to call his office.
- Call the members of the Asm. Education Committee: Focus on the offices of Asm. Sharon Quirk-Silva (916) 319-2067 and Asm. Juan Carrillo (916) 319-2039. If you know parents, teachers, pastors, and other elected officials living in the districts of Asm. Quirk-Silva (district map) or Asm. Juan Carrillo (district map) please tell them you are upset the Asm. Education Committee is not having a hearing on AB 1314.
Letters of Support
- California Family Council
- Our Duty
- California Policy Center
- Pacific Justice Institute
- Real Impact
- Alliance to Protect Children
- Attorney William Salzwedel
- Traditional Values for Next Generations
- The Salt and Light Council
- Stand Up Sacramento County
- Right to Life League
- Protect Our Kids (POK)
- Parents for Liberty
- Concerned Women for America
- California Parents Union
- California Capitol Connection
- Breathways Academy
News Articles and Videos
- Epoch Times: Why California Schools Shouldn’t Keep Secrets from Parents
- Epoch Times: California Bill Would Ban Secret Gender Transitioning of Children at School
- CBN News: CA Lawmaker Proposes Bill Requiring School Employees to Tell Parent if Student Publicly Goes Trans
- Daily Wire: CA Lawmakers Seek To Reverse Law That Prohibits Teachers From Disclosing Student Gender Identities, Transitions With Parents (there is no law giving kids privacy rights from parents)
- Brietbart: Wiener Vows to Stop California Bill Requiring Schools to Inform Parents About Gender Transition
- Heritage Foundation: Parents Are Fed Up With Public Schools Secretly Transitioning Children
- The Daily Signal: Yes, Schools Are Secretly Trying to ‘Gender Transition’ Kids, and It Must Be Stopped
- New York Times: When Students Change Gender Identity, and Parents Don’t Know
- Associated Press: Mother: teachers manipulated child to change gender identity
KONEN v. SPRECKELS UNION SCHOOL DISTRICT
- Enterprise Record: Chico woman files federal lawsuit against CUSD, claims violation of 14th Amendment rights
REGINO v. STALEY
- New York Post: Christian teacher claims she was fired for refusing to lie about kids’ pronouns
- Sacramento Bee: California bill requiring school staff to out transgender students to parents effectively dead
- California Globe: Parental Notification Of Child Gender Identity Change Bill Denied A Hearing In Assm. Committee
- Washington Free Beacon: Silencing Debate: California Dems Block Hearing On Transgenderism in Schools Due to Fear of ‘Hateful Rhetoric’
- KCRA NBC Sacramento: California lawmakers won’t hear bill requiring schools to notify parents if their child is transgender
- Epoch Times: California Lawmaker Blocks Parental Rights Bill as Debate Continues Over Secret Gender Transitions at Schools
- LA Times: California bill requiring schools to out transgender students to parents dies
- Ed Source by Erin Friday: Why California schools shouldn’t keep secrets from parents
- Ed Source: Battle over transgender student privacy isn’t over, bill’s author says
- NTD: Bill Essayli Shares Thoughts on Parental Rights, Responds to Critics of California’s AB 1314
Parents are not allowed to know what teachers are telling their kids?— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 8, 2023
- Social Media Graphics for AB 1314 campaign: https://drive.google.
com/drive/folders/ 10mYb0KQmHUXQtg0LV- 1krteyFDV8xMA
The board claimed they kept the policy because it’s “required” by state law. What law specifically?— Bill Essayli (@billessayli) April 6, 2023
Hint: It doesn’t exist.
This is why I introduced #AB1314 to expose this disingenuous argument and to return decision making to parents, not educators. https://t.co/12g0Bl6jGO
This is completely false. There is no statute that requires this secrecy policy. But even more egregious, this policy violates the constitutional rights of parents. The Dept of Ed. needs to rescind this directive immediately and the Legislature should pass our bill #AB1314. https://t.co/UU4uMdVcIg— James Gallagher (@J_GallagherAD3) April 6, 2023
Well, Scott's on record now saying that schools should be conspiring to keep secrets from families. About their own children. https://t.co/uhNnJBKwcT— Abigail Shrier (@AbigailShrier) March 13, 2023
An important piece regarding #AB1314, it is truly shameful that the Assembly chose to deny this bill a hearing #CALeg https://t.co/5a7RHIfSYm— Bob Becker (@Bob_916) April 13, 2023
ICYMI: Democrat legislators in the #CALeg blocked a hearing for #AB1314, a bill that would have required teachers and administrators to inform parents within three days if their children asked to be treated as a member of the opposite sex while at school. https://t.co/4DLLdkCv3b— Karen England, The Kitchen Table Activist (@porninschools) April 11, 2023
The author of #AB1314, Assemblymember @billessayli (R-Riverside), has vowed to bring the idea to school boards directly, encourage parents to sue school districts and continue to push for a hearing in #caleg. #capol #caedu #edchat #LGBTQ #LGBTQIA https://t.co/BlyBWQT43j— EdSource (@EdSource) April 21, 2023
Why is AB 1314 Necessary?