AB 2943 bans books, conferences, counseling advocating Muslim, Jewish, and Christian views on gender and sexual orientation
The California Assembly approved a bill today 50-18 that tells churches and other with traditional beliefs about gender and sexual orientation that advocating for their views could get them sued. AB 2943, declares “advertising, offering to engage in, or engaging in sexual orientation change efforts with an individual” is illegal under state’s consumer fraud law.
“The State of California has no right to deny its residents the resources to help them find happiness or to shut down counselors, schools, and religious organizations that provide those services,” said California Family Council CEO Jonathan Keller, in response to today’s Assembly vote. “Every person experiencing unwanted same-sex attraction or gender dysphoria must be allowed to pursue help in achieving their desired goals and outcomes.”
The implications of this legislation spread far beyond regulating the type of counseling offered by licensed therapists, who are already banned from helping minors with unwanted same-sex attractions. Several legal experts have confirmed that by targeting financial transactions, AB 2943 threatens the ability of religious non-profits, churches, and pastors from selling resources that help people practice their faith.
Watch the Assembly Floor Debate on AB 2943 below. (At the 7:25 minute mark listen to Assemblyman James Gallagher explain the Christian position on the transformative power of the Gospel)
Here are links to hearing testimony and other opposition resources:
- Equipped to Love founders Ken Williams and Elizabeth Woning testify against AB 2943: See their reaction; hear their insight.
- California Family Council article: New CA Bill Outlaws Helping Anyone with Unwanted Same-Sex Desires or Gender Confusion
- Why the ACLU of Rhode Island Opposes Conversion Therapy, But Also Opposes Legislation to Ban It
- Alliance Defending Freedom Legal Memorandum against AB 2943.
- National Task Force for Therapy Equality Fact Sheet: What Happens When Therapy is Banned?
- Laura A. Haynes, Ph.D., California Psychologist: The American Psychological Association Says Born-That-Way-And-Can’t-Change Is Not True of Sexual Orientation And Gender Identity
- Christopher Rosik, Ph.D., with Alliance for Therapeutic Choice and Scientific Integrity: My Conversation With a Typical Opponent of Professional Therapies that Include Change
- President of Focus on the Family Jim Daly: This California Bill Threatens Religious Freedom, Radio interview
- American College of Pediatricians: Unlawful, Dangerous and Unnecessary – Oppose AB 1779 & AB 2943
- David French, National Review: California Progressives Launch (Another) Attack on Free Speech
- AB 2943: Testimony from Privacy and Consumer Protection Committee
- AB 2943: Testimony from in Assembly Judiciary Committee
- For more information go to ab2943.com