The California Future of Abortion Council is supporting and promoting bills to strengthen and expand abortion services in California including funding organizations that provide practical support to anyone coming to the state for an abortion. Senators Nancy Skinner (D-Berkley) and Senator Anna Caballero (D-Merced) introduced a bill like this, SB 1142, that provides money to pregnant mothers for abortion-related costs, including expenses related to travel, lodging, childcare, meals, doula support, and translation services — both for Californians and those who come here for abortion services.
This bill will incentivize more California women to get abortions, and invite and encourage out-of-state residents to come to California for an abortion. Senator Skinner believes this bill is necessary to prepare for the mothers coming to California for abortions from around the country. “There will be a heightened demand to improve access to information, provide investment for practical support, and address the barriers patients face in California,” she stated.
SB 1142, the Money to Facilitate Abortion Tourism bill, is scheduled for a hearing in the Senate Health Committee, Wednesday, April 6, at 1:00 PM in room 1200.
Please call into the hearing or show up in person and make your voice heard. (See details to participate here.) We must make it clear that Californians are not okay with our taxpayer dollars funding abortion tourism.
Call the members of the Senate Health Committee and voice your opposition to SB 1142:
- Senator Richard Pan (Chair) (916) 651-4006
- Senator Melissa A. Melendez (Vice Chair) (916) 651-4028
- Senator Susan Talamantes Eggman (916) 651-4005
- Senator Lena A. Gonzalez (916) 651-4033
- Senator Shannon Grove (916) 651-4016
- Senator Melissa Hurtado (916) 651-4014
- Senator Connie M. Leyva (916) 651-4020
- Senator Monique Limón (916) 651-4019
- Senator Richard D. Roth (916) 651-4031
- Senator Susan Rubio (916) 651-4022
- Senator Scott D. Wiener (916) 651-4011