San Francisco state Senator Scott Wiener is upset that some medical personnel are still refusing to provide sterilizing drugs and surgeries to trans-identified Californians as well as declining to use their pronouns of preference. So he introduced SB 923 last month to put pressure on those still holding to the biblical, binary nature of gender. The bill forces all medical and health insurance personnel to attend transgender “cultural competency training” classes. Those who still fail to provide “trans-inclusive health care” will have to repeat the training over and over.
“It’s simple: transgender, gender non-comforming and intersex people deserve the same quality of healthcare that everyone else receives,” stated Senator Wiener. “No one should go to a doctor’s appointment only to be misgendered, harassed, or even refused treatment.”
What type of transgender treatment should doctors always say “yes” to? Wiener spells this out in the bill language. It includes, but is not limited to ”feminizing mammoplasty, male chest reconstruction, mastectomy, facial feminization surgery, hysterectomy, oophorectomy, penectomy, orchiectomy, feminizing genitoplasty, metoidioplasty, phalloplasty, scrotoplasty, voice masculinization or feminization, hormone therapy related to gender dysphoria or intersex conditions, gender-affirming gynecological care, or voice therapy related to gender dysphoria or intersex conditions.”
You may not be familiar with some of the above medical terms, research them and you will see that the list includes using sterilizing drugs and surgeries on healthy reproductive organs of adults, as well as minors.
“Senator Wiener continues to display a totalitarian impulse toward anyone who disagrees with him regarding the nature of gender and how best to help those struggling with gender dysphoria,” said Greg Burt, Director of Capitol Engagement for the California Family Council.
“Forced ideological indocrination training is nothing new. Unable to persuade the populace of his point of view within the marketplace of ideas, Wiener now wants to force people into reeducation classes where Christians will be shamed for their faith, and encouraged to sterilize patients and tell them lies about their gender.”
What topics will the transgender training classes have to include? Again the text of the bill is very specific. Classes must:
- Teach the effects of “historical and contemporary exclusion and oppression of TGI communities” (“TGI” means transgender, gender non-conforming, or intersex.)
- Teach about “TGI-inclusive terminology, using people’s correct names and pronouns, even when they are not reflected in records or legal documents; avoiding language, whether verbal or nonverbal, that demeans, ridicules, or condemns TGI individuals; and avoiding making assumptions about gender identity by using gender-neutral language and avoiding language that presumes all individuals are heterosexual, cisgender or gender conforming, or non-intersex.”
- Teach attendees to recognize “the difference between personal values and professional responsibilities with regard to serving TGI people.” Translation: Christians’ beliefs about the binary, biological nature of gender have to be abandoned if they want to work in the medical field.
SB 923 also requires the training above to be facilitated by a TGI-lead organization that includes the perspectives of TGI people. To get a glimpse of what a TGI training organization might look like, take a look at one of the organizations co-sponsoring this legislation called Break the Binary. It is led by a transgendered couple, Addison Rose Vincent (a male with pronouns they/them), and Ethan Alexander (a female with pronouns he/them). Vincent and Alexander offer a variety of training, workshops, and speaking engagements to organizations and businesses, eager to become more “affirming, equitable, understanding, and empowering world for LGBTQ+ people.” According to their website, “Breaking The Binary” means “bringing awareness to identities in-between and beyond sex, gender, expression, and attraction binaries. It means challenging the way we think, and replacing this or that with this, that, and then some.”Here is a list of courses they offer:
Training & Workshops (Click to learn more)
- LGBTQ+ 101 & 201
- Know Your LGBTQ+ Rights
- Ending Violence Against LGBTQ+ People
- Trauma-Informed Care for LGBTQ+ Clients
- Transgender 101 & 201 (DFEH Compliant)
- Non-Binary 101 & 201
- Trans & Non-Binary Health
- Self-Care & Community Care
Keynote Speaker & Panelist Topics
- The Bold and Beard-iful
- Love Without Limits or Binaries
- A Call to Action: Allyship & Advocacy
The two made national news recently as guests on Dr. Phil talk show debating gender identity with conservative author and podcast host Matt Walsh. Both were put on the spot by Walsh after they were unable to answer a question about what a woman is. (Watch the debate below)
Wiener’s bill is supported by numerous transgender legal and health organizations. Check out the California LGBTQ Health and Human Services Network campaign website for SB 923 for more information.
SB 923 will first be heard in the Senate Health Committee. A hearing date has not yet been set.
Senator Wiener has tried before to punish healthcare workers for “misgendering” trans-identified individuals. Back in 2017, Governor Jerry Brown signed SB 219, a bill to fine and jail any long-term care workers who refused to use a transgender person’s pronoun of preference. But last July, the State Court of Appeal struck down the pronoun provision of the law as illegal. The state’s highest court will now make the final decision.